Home > Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to frequently asked questions

Who can use the English Language Programs services?
ELP classes and tutoring are intended for students and scholars of The Graduate School: PhDs, postdoctoral fellows, and students in a TGS masters program. Other Northwestern affiliates, such as undergraduates, students in a non-TGS masters program, faculty, staff, and visiting scholars, may attend if space is available. We do not offer classes for the general public or spouses of NU affiliates. There are conversation courses for spouses offered by the Community Council for International Students. In addition, the Speech and Language Clinic in the School of Communication is an open-enrollment program that is available to the public (with discounts for Northwestern staff and students). We also have a list of private tutors who work with the general public for a fee. For more information on local schools and programs that serve the general public, please see our resources page.

When are classes held?
English Language Programs courses follow The Graduate School's academic calendar, with classes in the fall, winter, and spring, and summer quarters. Check the university's academic calendar for information on registration dates and the start date for the current quarter.

How do I register for English Language Programs classes?
See our registration page for up-to-date information on how to register for all of our services.

What is 'auditing' and how do I audit English Language Programs courses?
Auditing students attend classes and participate in all of the class activities, but do not receive a grade. A course which is audited will not appear on a student's offcial transcript. ALL of our services are free for auditors. PhD students and TGS masters students are required to register through CAESAR and may not audit courses. Other graduate students, faculty, staff, and visiting scholars may audit an ELP course if space is available. Students who enroll in the class via CAESAR for a grade are given priority over auditors if the class is over-enrolled.

To audit a course, you must register as an auditor in advance by filling out an online form during our online registration period. Walk-ins will NOT accepted on the first day of class. For information on when to sign up as an auditor, visit our registration page, or sign up for our mailing list to have updates mailed to you directly--send an e-mail to elp@northwestern.edu to get on the list.

How can I get a tutoring appointment?
Students enroll in our tutoring program through the same online registration program that we use for auditor registration for classes. Please see our registration page for more details and specific dates.

Do you need volunteers?
If you are interested in volunteering as a tutor, instructor, or a conversation partner, please contact the Community Council for International Students. CCIS has a number of ways to volunteer and can always use additional help. If you are an American graduate student, you may also consider applying to be a Graduate Leader English Development through Guided Exploration program, or applying for the Summer Graduate Assistantship in the International Summer Institute (ISI Peer Mentor). For more information about these opportunities, please contact Brian Hampson at elp@northwestern.edu.

Do you have teaching positions available?
We do not currently have open full-time teaching positions available. However, if you are interested in teaching English at Northwestern, you may apply for a temporary part-time summer position with the the International Summer Institute. To apply, you may send a current CV/resumé with a cover letter and names of at least two teaching references to the following address:

Julia Moore
Director English as a Second Language Program
Department of Linguistics at Northwestern University
2016 Sheridan Road Evanston, IL 60208-4090

Applicants must have a master's degree or Ph.D. in TESOL, Lingustics, or Speech Pathology, letters of recommendation, and experience in teaching adult learners at the intermediate level and higher.